Monday, August 30, 2010
Several years ago some friends and I were fortunate enough to take a class from a serious beader and I made some needle cases and then moved on to what are called amulet bags. They are small bags worn as a necklace. I think I ended up making five of them. The one shown in the photograph was for a special friend of mine, Sharry. They are done with Delica beads and are sort of, I guess, tedious to do but fun if you like fussing with little things.
The second photo is one of the needle cases, also worn as a necklace. The beading is done and then fit over a purchased wooden needle case in two pieces (the top and bottom) and then the fringe is applied.
Sunday, August 29, 2010
Did find time, however, between stitching and pressing to make a few ATC's. Here are some samples. Have almost 100 done now so I am getting closer to my goal of 140.
My other goal is to get a decent picture to put on my profile. Several people guessed that I held the camera as far as my short arms would reach and snapped the picture I am using now. Know it is pretty awful but I will be replacing it soon.
Friday, August 20, 2010
I am finally getting around to playing with vinyl. I cut my name and my old business name with no plan so stuck them on file cabinets. Today I did a larger version of my business name (Whimsey Unlimited) and put it on the door to my shop.
BUT...the exciting thing was playing with the heat transfer vinyl for fabric. A couple of days ago I did my first effort and decided to iron it right to my new Tim Holtz apron. It worked great but I did not use parchment paper or what I should have while I heat set it. When I lifted up my iron the vinyl was nicely transferred and it was framed with a wonderful brown iron shape where the heat had scorched the apron. It took me several hours of fooling around to disguise the scorch with some artsy stuff.
Today I tackled a T-shirt. I took one of Tim Holtz's stamps and stamped it on paper, scanned it, traced it in Illustrator and exported the file as an SVG file to cut on my Cricut with the Make-the-Cut program. It worked fabulously. The photographs are of the design. The black background is a T-shirt and the design is about 8" wide. The tan background is a pocket on my apron and the design is about 5" wide and has a stamped image to the left of it. I am so excited about the possibilities. I even made a quick trip to Walmart to purchase T-shirts and they are piled in my office awaiting something clever to be done with them. I told my husband he better guard his drawer full of T-shirts or I'd be experimenting on his shirts.
Monday, August 16, 2010
Not sure but think the picture of the two of us was taken around 1957 or 1958. Used lots of Tim stuff on the sign including grunge objects, Distress Stickles and an Ideology flower with Distress Embossing and even an Ideology gear and tag. Just remembered I also used a calendar from one of his paper stacks and, of course, some of his stamps. The lettering was cut out on a die cut machine.
Sunday, August 8, 2010
Now I just have to find a box, some paper, and think of some creative way to wrap it up.