Monday, August 30, 2010

What is Off-Loom Beading?

I mentioned off-loom beading as one of my interests and several people have asked me what was. Off-loom beading is making a solid beaded object without the use of a beading loom. I'm not sure that is the "official" explanation but that is what I think it is.

Several years ago some friends and I were fortunate enough to take a class from a serious beader and I made some needle cases and then moved on to what are called amulet bags. They are small bags worn as a necklace. I think I ended up making five of them. The one shown in the photograph was for a special friend of mine, Sharry. They are done with Delica beads and are sort of, I guess, tedious to do but fun if you like fussing with little things.

The second photo is one of the needle cases, also worn as a necklace. The beading is done and then fit over a purchased wooden needle case in two pieces (the top and bottom) and then the fringe is applied.

You do the work with very thin needles and a special type of thread. You work from a graph or a chart.

3 comments:

  1. Very Nice!! I never learned any kind of beading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my...I love these examples! Would you consider selling a needle case? My sis is queen of sewing in our family..I would love to give her one! Im in the ATT group...let me know, cher

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous, I love beading but don't do the level you do...this is awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete